Translate

sabato 25 agosto 2012

Job and the Home teaching.


Job and the Home teaching.
The book of Job contains many important clues, but on my opinion, one of its particular really important never was taken in consideration.
If we consider the adversity that Job faced, we can't help but note that he had an extreme need of good home teachers.
On my personal opinion this book is a real good handbook to how we shouldn't do the home teaching. It is indubitable that the people that went to visit him had good feelings. Sometimes those good feelings are not enough, the real love and the will don't judge our fellow man are the keys to open the door to the real home teaching.
Job was a real good man and he was aware of it. Analyzing the different
phases of this home teaching we can note that the humble behavior of Job at the beginning, it becomes an annoyed attitude, irritated from the different provocations from his home teachers.
Let's go to analyze this unfortunate attempt to destroy the same self confidence of Job.
Job 2:11-13
Now when Job's three friends heard of all this evil that was come upon him, they came every one from his own place; Eliphaz the Temanite, and Bildad the Shuhite, and Zophar the Naamathite: for they had made an appointment together to come to mourn with him and to comfort him.
12
And when they lifted up their eyes afar off, and knew him not, they lifted up their voice, and wept; and they rent every one his mantle, and sprinkled dust upon their heads toward heaven.
13
So they sat down with him upon the ground seven days and seven nights, and none spake a word unto him: for they saw that his grief was very great.

Job in chapter 3 is complaining for something that he is not able to explain, and his complain is human and understandable, we have to keep on mind what he said to his wife in chapter 1:21
And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.

or in Job 2:8-10
And he took him a potsherd to scrape himself withal; and he sat down among the ashes.
9
Then said his wife unto him, Dost thou still retain thine integrity? curse God, and die.
10
But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips.
Job 4:1-2
Then Eliphaz the Temanite answered and said,
2
If we assay to commune with thee, wilt thou be grieved? but who can withhold himself from speaking?

The beginning is not the best approach, it is already anticipated that what will be told it would be grieved for him.
Job 4:3-5
Behold, thou hast instructed many, and thou hast strengthened the weak hands.
4
Thy words have upholden him that was falling, and thou hast strengthened the feeble knees.
5
But now it is come upon thee, and thou faintest; it toucheth thee, and thou art troubled.
The judgment is done and Job is already k.o. but the masterpiece of this approach it is in verse 7
Remember, I pray thee, who ever perished, being innocent? or where were the righteous cut off?

Job 5:7
Yet man is born unto trouble, as the sparks fly upward.

we know instead that the mankind is to know the joy. to the verse 17
Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty:

This idea is true, but how much is inapplicable in that moment.
Job 5:27
Lo this, we have searched it, so it is; hear it, and know thou it for thy good.

What is the Job's reaction?
Job 6:5
Doth the wild ass bray when he hath grass? or loweth the ox over his fodder?

Job 6:9-10
Even that it would please God to destroy me; that he would let loose his hand, and cut me off!
10
Then should I yet have comfort; yea, I would harden myself in sorrow: let him not spare; for I have not concealed the words of the Holy One.
But Job 6:14-29 explains better
To him that is afflicted pity should be shewed from his friend; but he forsaketh the fear of the Almighty.
15
My brethren have dealt deceitfully as a brook, and as the stream of brooks they pass away;
16
Which are blackish by reason of the ice, and wherein the snow is hid:
17
What time they wax warm, they vanish: when it is hot, they are consumed out of their place.
18
The paths of their way are turned aside; they go to nothing, and perish.
19
The troops of Tema looked, the companies of Sheba waited for them.
20
They were confounded because they had hoped; they came thither, and were ashamed.
21
For now ye are nothing; ye see my casting down, and are afraid.
22
Did I say, Bring unto me? or, Give a reward for me of your substance?
23
Or, Deliver me from the enemy's hand? or, Redeem me from the hand of the mighty?
24
Teach me, and I will hold my tongue: and cause me to understand wherein I have erred.
25
How forcible are right words! but what doth your arguing reprove?
26
Do ye imagine to reprove words, and the speeches of one that is desperate, which are as wind?
27
Yea, ye overwhelm the fatherless, and ye dig a pit for your friend.
28
Now therefore be content, look upon me; for it is evident unto you if I lie.
29
Return, I pray you, let it not be iniquity; yea, return again, my righteousness is in it.

Bildad reinforce the case
Job 8:2-5
How long wilt thou speak these things? and how long shall the words of thy mouth be like a strong wind?
3
Doth God pervert judgment? or doth the Almighty pervert justice?
4
If thy children have sinned against him, and he have cast them away for their transgression;
5
If thou wouldest seek unto God betimes, and make thy supplication to the Almighty;
and verses 13-14
So are the paths of all that forget God; and the hypocrite's hope shall perish:
14
Whose hope shall be cut off, and whose trust shall be a spider's web.

the reply of Job.
Job 9:1
Then Job answered and said,
2
I know it is so of a truth: but how should man be just with God?
and verse 15
Whom, though I were righteous, yet would I not answer, but I would make supplication to my judge.

Anyway Job is aware to be a good man
verse 35
Then would I speak, and not fear him; but it is not so with me.

Job 10:2-7
I will say unto God, Do not condemn me; shew me wherefore thou contendest with me.
3
Is it good unto thee that thou shouldest oppress, that thou shouldest despise the work of thine hands, and shine upon the counsel of the wicked?
4
Hast thou eyes of flesh? or seest thou as man seeth?
5
Are thy days as the days of man? are thy years as man's days,
6
That thou enquirest after mine iniquity, and searchest after my sin?
7
Thou knowest that I am not wicked; and there is none that can deliver out of thine hand.

Tsofar doesn't' believe to his words.
Job 11:2-3
Should not the multitude of words be answered? and should a man full of talk be justified?
3
Should thy lies make men hold their peace? and when thou mockest, shall no man make thee ashamed?
this is the masterpiece.
verse 14
If iniquity be in thine hand, put it far away, and let not wickedness dwell in thy tabernacles.

Job begins to become sarcastic.
Job 12:2-4
No doubt but ye are the people, and wisdom shall die with you.
3
But I have understanding as well as you; I am not inferior to you: yea, who knoweth not such things as these?
4
I am as one mocked of his neighbour, who calleth upon God, and he answereth him: the just upright man is laughed to scorn.

Job 13:5
O that ye would altogether hold your peace! and it should be your wisdom.

Elifaz had an "humble" reasoning
Job 15:14-18
What is man, that he should be clean? and he which is born of a woman, that he should be righteous?
15
Behold, he putteth no trust in his saints; yea, the heavens are not clean in his sight.
16
How much more abominable and filthy is man, which drinketh iniquity like water?
17
I will shew thee, hear me; and that which I have seen I will declare;
18
Which wise men have told from their fathers, and have not hid it:
Take on mind the Job's answer
Job 16:2-5
I have heard many such things: miserable comforters are ye all.
3
Shall vain words have an end? or what emboldeneth thee that thou answerest?
4
I also could speak as ye do: if your soul were in my soul's stead, I could heap up words against you, and shake mine head at you.
5
But I would strengthen you with my mouth, and the moving of my lips should asswage your grief.

miserable comforters !!!!! and what about Job 19:3-5?
These ten times have ye reproached me: ye are not ashamed that ye make yourselves strange to me.
4
And be it indeed that I have erred, mine error remaineth with myself.
5
If indeed ye will magnify yourselves against me, and plead against me my reproach:
Nothiwistanding all the attempts to destroy the very Job's self confidence, Job is aware
Job 23:10
But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold.

To the end, in his wisdom, he rated his home teachers.
Job 26:2-4
How hast thou helped him that is without power? how savest thou the arm that hath no strength?
3
How hast thou counselled him that hath no wisdom? and how hast thou plentifully declared the thing as it is?
4
To whom hast thou uttered words? and whose spirit came from thee?

God Himself at the end judges everything and everybody
Job 42:7-8And it was so, that after the LORD had spoken these words unto Job, the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite, My wrath is kindled against thee, and against thy two friends: for ye have not spoken of me the thing that is right, as my servant Job hath.
8
Therefore take unto you now seven bullocks and seven rams, and go to my servant Job, and offer up for yourselves a burnt offering; and my servant Job shall pray for you: for him will I accept: lest I deal with you after your folly, in that ye have not spoken of me the thing which is right, like my servant Job.
All of this teaches us that even though it is true that we should listen humbly he suggestions of our home teachers, it is still true that the patriarch of the home presides to his house and he has the privilege to share his feelings and to be listened. The rule of the common consent and to be able to listen are the same keys that God Himself used in the Garden of Eden. He knew already what was going on there before to go, but he didn't judge the man right the way, he made questions and gave them the opportunity to explain the things and share their feelings. This is a perfect example, God was and it is a perfect listener, and He knows everything from the beginning, why don't we should do the same that we have no clue, sometimes neither at the end?
Jesus did the same in His life. When people presented to Him the sinner woman, he sought to show them how wrong was their attitude. They were not trying to save that woman, they were using her to put Jesus in trouble, they didn't care at all about her. Jesus gave them the reason to think about themselves and they were not able to give a right judgment.
To be an home teacher is a great responsibility, it is like to administer the personal treasure of our Lord, Cain said " Am I the keeper of my brother?
From his words we can perfectly understand how much love he had for his brother and how much he was looking at the personal treasure of God. The Human family is the personal treasure of our Father in Heaven and we, like members of the church, are surely the shepherds of this treasure, surely our judgment will be affected from in what way we keep our eye on it.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento